Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

CACTI call of Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
  • Marina Adomeit, GEANT
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO  
  • Tom Barton, University of Chicago  
  • Rob Carter, Duke  
  • Jessica Coltrin, Portland State University, liaison from InCommon TAC  
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington  
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
  • Tom Jordan, University of Wisc - Madison    
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College  


  Internet2

  • Kevin Morooney   
  • Ann West  
  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Nick Roy
  • Emily Eisbruch  
  • Mike Zawacki

  Regrets

  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT

------
New Action Items from this call

AI (Mike, Nick, Rob) work more on tuning the eAC charter to clarify value concept.

Discussion

Reminders/longer term

  1. Slide deck for value proposition for research for the Trusted Access Platform (Jill and Ann)
  2. Need to work with Keith Hazelton and David Bantz to finalize the Sunset doc and submit it to Doc Repository (Emily’s update: will do this by next CACTI call)


TAC Workplan update from Jessica Coltrin

  • https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/inctac/InCommon+TAC+2019+Work+Plan
  • Topics in the TAC Workplan include REFEDs, OIDC, RA21, FIM4R recommendations
  • Badging
    • TBD, being defined and determined
    • Net+ program advisory group has a badging white paper group, with 5 institutions represented,  there are various perspectives, including accessibility, security, InCommon elements; just getting going,
    • REN ISAC is also looking at badging https://www.ren-isac.net/
    • There is a Venn diagram of badging activities. Needs to be closely tracked
    • Badge such as “R&S Ready”
    • Looking at W3C guidelines around accessibility and  grading 
    • Will there be a working group for this badging activity?
    • Badging could involve some self attestation and some operational  steps
    • Kevin:
    • Australian access federation did a scoring activity a few years back.  
  • TAC is also looking at onboarding and  addressing some communication gaps
  • Regarding the Deployment Profile WG, that just completed its work,  there is a plan to follow up with an R&E profile
  • Test InCommon Federation, is this to replace InQueue? Not entirely. Strong intention to avoid some known potential pitfalls of test areas.


Main Business

    • eduroam-US advisory committee charter  process (Mike Z, Rob C, Nick R)
      • The charter drafters received feedback from CACTI and modified the eAC charter.
      • Regarding the name, there was concern that naming this the “eduroam TAC” could be confusing with differentiating from InCommon TAC.
        • Therefore, rebranded eduroam TAC to eduroam Advisory Committee (eAC)
      • Suggestion that it could be too detailed to put specific technology names such as Slack in charter. Agreed.
      • Should we clarify in charter if vice chair becomes the next chair of eAC?
        • Decided to follow pattern established by InCommon TAC charter, that is not 100% explicit about vice chair becoming next chair.


  • Reporting structure for eAC
    • There was discussion of where eAC should report to:  CACTI versus Internet2 InCommon Trust and Identity Management
      • It originally was assumed by the drafters of the eAC charter that since CACTI is chartering eAC, this reporting  to CACTI made sense
      • However, reporting could go up through CACTI and to the Internet2/InCommon Trust and Identity  Management
      • eAC will be a Service advisory committee
      • There is Trust and Identity Program Advisory Group (PAG) in the advisory structure, that could be seen as “above” eduroam US ; It may be helpful to mention the Trust and Identity PAG in the charter.
      • Agreed that we start with eAC reporting through CACTI to Kevin; that could change later.


  • VALUE for eAC
      • Currently there may be variations on understandings of what the eAC is supposed to do, and this should be clarified
      • Regarding who benefits from the work of the eAC, this was discussed on Slack as the charter was being worked on.  
      • Hope that the work on eduroam US will also benefit international eduroam
      • The value as specified in the charter may need more refinement
      • Want to be sure the community derives excellent value from the service and perhaps this should be stressed
      • AI (Mike Nick Rob) work more on tuning the eAC charter to clarify value concept.


  • Process  after next version of draft charter is ready and reviewed by CACTI
    • InCommon participants list, and
    • eduroam connectors list.  
    • There will be a community consultation period for the eAC charter, this will help socialize the eAC charter.
    • Target the community consultation on the eAC charter to  
    • Chris P will send out the notice of Community Consultation when the time is right

Website News

  • Internet2 Trust and Identity and  InCommon website changes are coming. Consolidation under InCommon.org
  • InCommon is become an Internet2 trust and identity brand name
  • For next CACTI call: Ann will review new web site with CACTI, send URL to CACTI when it’s ready.

Topics Saved for a Future Call

  • Prospective members - building a list and recruitment
  • Web authentication (Fido/W3C Webauthn) (Rob)


  • Status Updates

    • Close-out of MACE-DIR transition to REFEDS
      1. URN registry transfer - status
      2. Finalize sunset doc - status
  • Topics being tracked

    • Build on last meetings outcomes focusing on the 5 areas we highlighted :
      1. infrastructure, services to end users, software dev, infrastructure as  a service, and outreach and education
      2. Focus of conversation: to identify high priority items/quick wins in the above areas
    • Continue prioritizing CACTI FIM4R recommendations (Chris/Jill)

    • ID Pro (Chris has next touch point)

Next Call: Tuesday, June 11, 2019