Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

  

 

CACTI call of Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Rob Carter, Duke   
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington  
  • Tom Jordan, University of Wisc - Madison   
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College   

  Internet2

  • Steve Zoppi    
  • Nick Roy  
  • Mike Zawacki  

Regrets

  • Marina Adomeit, GEANT
  • Tom Barton, University of Chicago
  • Jessica Coltrin, Portland State University, liaison from InCommon TAC
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College  
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  
  • Kevin Morooney, Internet2
  • Ann West, Internet2   
  • Emily Eisbruch, Internet2  


New Action Items from this call:

AI (NickR) Consider eduroam TAC Charter comments/review with MikeZ, finalize doc for review by ChrisP, then a vote by CACTI when ChrisP is satisfied.

Pre-Reads
Reminders/longer term
  • Slide deck for value proposition for research for the Trusted Access Platform (Jill and Ann)

Discussion

Main Business

  1. TechEx19 Submission deadline is May 17 – what would we like to submit/request for time?
    1. Might want to use the CACTI meeting time as an open meeting again
    2. Active topics?
      1. There will be a Fed 2.0 time slot at TechEx
      2. Would be good for this group to keep an eye on the work as it progresses
      3. Future agenda item for this call: Fed 2.0 update from TomB
      1. MikeZ submitted an “eduroam mini-mobility day” presentation
        1. One hour, based on the BoF format
        2. Would like to pursue the same format at TechEx, talk about K12 deployments/regional network partnership, etc.
        1. Similar to format at Global Summit19 - service update, related presentations
        2. Could do a joint CACTI/eduroam TAC open session as an introduction to the eduroam TAC.
      1. Does this warrant an additional session in addition to our normal meeting time?
        1. Yes/depends on how we brand it. If our meeting is a feedback session, then that would cover the need. If it’s something specific beyond a general feedback session, may want an additional session.
      1. FIM4R response status update?
      2. Federation 2.0 WG?
      3. eduroam TAC?
      4. Put down a stake and say we want to talk to community, not sure what about yet.
      5. General CACTI update
  2. Eduroam related
    1. Update from GeGC (Global Eduroam Governance Committee)
      1. Free service provided by GÉANT for up to 10,000 users per NRO - we could pretty easily hit that limit with just a couple small school districts
      2. Nick and Mike have been talking to Stefan and Miro about options - still early in the discussion - good potential eduroam TAC conversation
      1. Tim Cappalli from Aruba will be presenting at mobility day at TNC
      2. GeGC meets about 1x/quarter
      3. Chris previewed the topics from the last GeGC call as a preview of the kinds of topics that may be covered by the eduroam TAC
      4. Discussion of relationship between IdP-as-a-service and eduroam/managed RADIUS IdP
      5. Hosted eduroam: hosted.eduroam.org as IdP
    2. eduroam TAC charter
      1. Since this group will have formal governance responsibilities, including business decisions,  it makes sense to have an elected membership.
      2. Need to be mindful of intent to cultivate new talent in the space.
      3. InC-TAC seeks open participation in its midterm strategies through open working groups. We would want to do the same thing in the eduroam TAC.
      4. Next steps for eduroam TAC Charter
      5. AI (NickR):Consider eduroam TAC Charter comments/review with MikeZ, finalize doc for review by ChrisP, then a vote by CACTI when ChrisP is satisfied.
      1. Question of whether this eduroam TAC group should be more like the TAC model of elected membership versus MACE-Dir open membership.

  3. IDPro https://idpro.org/
    1. light reading: https://github.com/IDPros/bok-toc/blob/master/maintoc.pdf
    2. How can IdPro be leveraged?  
      1. Work is still developing; Building the content is under way, still early days
      2. Some concern that structure may be too much of a walled garden
      3. Would be helpful to have an entry point into IDPro for people who aren’t paying dues to figure out how to orient into the activities
      4. Would like to work with IDPro if circumstances can enable entrance of newcomers/enable engagement with R&E community
      1. IDPro group had a meeting to determine how best to offer accreditation. Determined that offering a Body of Knowledge (BOK) was key. https://idpro.org/mission-and-vision IDPro doesn’t want to put a paywall in front of the BoK.  


Remaining Topics left for future CACTI call

    1. CACTI FIM4R Prioritization

   Status Updates

        1. eduroam-US TAC charter (NOTE! ← This link should be removed before publicly posting) process (Mike Z, Rob C, Nick R)
        2. Close-out of MACE-DIR transition to REFEDS
          1. URN registry transfer
          2. KeithH sent email to MACE-DIR list telling people to move discussions to the REFEDS schema list, and auto-reply to any MACE Dir emails now directs people to new list.  
          3. Need to finalize the Sunset doc and submit it to Doc Repository (Emily will coordinate this)  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1MbsvYWA2dyQIE0fGUpzxu84ImQtwTESgB8e3VEQ_Z5w/edit#heading=h.pjiszqpbrsc4

   Topics being tracked

    1. Continue prioritizing CACTI FIM4R recommendations (Chris/Jill)

      1. infrastructure, services to end users, software dev, infrastructure as  a service, and outreach and education
      2. Focus of conversation: to identify high priority items/quick wins in the above areas
      1. Build on last meetings outcomes focusing on the 5 areas we highlighted :
    2. Web authentication (Fido/W3C Webauthn) (Rob in the next month or so)
    3. ID Pro  

Next Call: Tuesday, May 28, 2019