Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

CACTI Call Oct. 27, 2020 



  • Tom Jordan, University of Wisc - Madison (chair)
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Matthew Economou, InCommon TAC Representative to CACTI
  • Michael Grady, Unicon
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College 
  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE
  • Bill Thompson, Lafayette College


  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Nic Roy  
  • Emily Eisbruch    


  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  (vice chair)
  • Marina Adomeit, SUNET
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  
  • Margaret Cullen, Painless Security
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington 
  • Kevin Morooney, Internet2  
  • Ann West, Internet2  
  • Jessica Fink, Internet2

Action item review:

  • AI TomJ  reach out to Albert, Janemarie and KeithW around signalling MFA
  • Jessica work to encourage a BOF session on the recruiting / hiring process for CAMP or ACAMP


 Resources from Oct 6, 2020 TechExtra  

Reminder of Virtual CAMP/ACAMP,  Nov. 16-20, 2020

Register here

MFA Signaling

  • ChrisP:  CANARIE is implementing metadata for MFA.
  • Hope to achieve the ability for entities to see/ signal around MFA. 
    • SP : I need MFA
    •  IDP: I have ability to signal MFA
  • How to rekey signaling so anyone do it. 
  • Lessons from the transition from R&S to REFEDs R&S
  • Nick: this is a good topic for joint InCommon TAC and CACTI discussion
  • AI TomJ  reach out to Albert, Janemarie and KeithW around signalling MFA
  • Research organizations wanted it to be authentication context
  • Reach out to ChrisP if you are interested in this topic
  • ChrisP: Stanford has some good resources around MFA

User Centric Gender pronouns

    • User Centric gender pronouns should likely  be addressed by REFEDs Schema group
    • For possible self assertion
    • Currently vendors have their own standards
    • Canvas has some capability around gender pronouns
    • Hard to manage data across vendors
    • OLC Schema has gender
    • Avoid controlled vocabulary
    • How to get this on developers’ radar to consume this assertion?
    •  RFC 2985 includes gender
    • Possible steps:
      • Add user centric gender issue to cookbooks
      • Work with Internet2 NET+

CACTI nominations (Tom)

    • CACTI will adopt a slate of candidates
    • Jessica creates a ballot
    • CACTI votes by end of November
    • CACTI members can spread or “weigh” their votes as desired
    • Send to InCommon Steering for approval
    • CACTI charter says 9-15 members
  • Next steps
    • Form final ballot by mid-November
    • Vote

Brainstorm on Topics for Virtual ACAMP UnConference in November

  • Advocacy --- we have proposals for data that IDPs should be issuing/releasing and SPs should be considering, how to best spread the word? To those writing the applications/software. Show them how to do it. Applies to MFA, SIRTFI, R&S and more
  • Securing the software supply chain. Concept of Trusted Access Platform is excellent. In adopting, we need to apply practices incubating in the field.  Opportunities for existing software to be more streamlined. Share best practices in the delivery. We rely on the Internet2 software teams (COmanage, Shib, Grouper).  But we need to communicate better. Use of scanners (comes out green = good). Banner case study.  How can we do better?  Note: sometimes commercial projects get more of a pass than community authored solutions, and that is not realistic.
  • MFA Signaling of capabilities of an IDP
  • password-less authentication (Duke and Stanford IAM Online)
  • Trusted Access Platform - What’s next?
    • Community may not know where to go to see the roadmaps for the projects. 
    • SteveZ noted that there are discussions on how best to make the roadmaps more available, but due to constraints on how the software project roadmaps are established, an ACAMP Unconference session may not be the best venue for this  
      • Note as of Oct 30, 2020, Project updates (with roadmaps)  will be presented at CAMP on Nov. 16 and Nov. 17, see track 2:  CAMP
  • Hiring and Onboarding Working Group (Jessica)

Federation support for commercial cloud infrastructure (did not discuss on the Oct, 27 call)

    • Discuss how we might approach exploring federation components or services that would aid member institutions in using commercial cloud infrastructure for federated collaboration. 

Parking Lot

  1. (From June 9, 2020 call) TomJ  - Add as an agenda item for a future CACTI call: Operationalizing containers

Next CACTI Meeting: Tuesday, Nov. 10, 2020  

  • No labels