Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE, chair  
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago
  • Rob Carter, Duke
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT 
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech 
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison 
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College  

  Internet2 

  • Kevin Morooney  
  • Ann West  
  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Emily Eisbruch  

Absent:: Warren Anderson (University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO)

Intellectual Property Reminder https://www.internet2.edu/policies/intellectual-property-framework/

New Action Items from this call

[AI] (TomB) reach out to the CACTI list concerning a one-hour call to discuss "Identerati" activity (Done)

 [AI] (Nathan) take next steps on CACTI WG Processes draft

 

DISCUSSION

Action Item and Updates Review

  •  CACTI Work Items list updated with status on requests has been updated

  • JIRA may be used in the future to track CACTI work items. SteveZ has enrolled the CACTI members in the Internet2 instance of JIRA. 


Identerati Activity - Small Group to Look at Best Approach 

[AI] (TomB) will reach out to the CACTI list concerning a one hour call to discuss "Identerati" activity (Done)

CACTI Inward facing communications  

Thanks to Nathan for drafting the CACTI Working Group Processes, including questions for Working Groups to report to CACTI  

      • Comments: 
        • Excellent start to list of questions. Suggestions:
          • Clarify CACTI’s relationship to working groups as coordinating body by adding a preamble about CACTI supporting the working groups. 
          • It was suggested to add a question on what is your working group's primary deliverable and what is the WG trying to accomplish, however it may be best to garner that info from the WG charter rather than ask it in this context.
          • Ask questions of working groups in friendly, "soft" terms and stay away from project management terminology. 
          • CACTI should ask for light summary and keep it simple as possible. 
          • Keep education in mind when reaching out to working group chairs for updates.  How will this WG contribute to bigger whole? Are there additional areas and topics that the WG needs further education on?  This awareness can help us as we strive to engage community members who are becoming involved in identity but are not extremely experienced yet.  
          • Perhaps collapse to the top 3 questions. Focus on impact and on strategic questions, such as where are there gaps and important items not being attended to
          •  [AI] (Nathan) take next steps on CACTI WG Processes draft  
    •  Blog on CACTI for Trust and Identity Newsletter for September 2017
      • Chris Phillips has drafted a blog for the September Trust and Identity Newsletter and welcomes feedback. The current draft blog invites individuals and doesn't talk to WG chairs, should it?


    • Building out CACTI future agendas 

Outward facing communications 

There is an opportunity to engage in outreach on needs of research community as Chris is attending FIM4R (Federated Identity Management for Research Collaborations) meeting in Montreal and has opportunity for 10-15 min on agenda for CACTI.

      • Agenda for FIM4R event
      • The FIM4R document collects feedback on what's next to work on in a refresh of this program
      • Background: there is a push to build support for FIM4R and bring more communities into the project.   The original FIM4R paper and TERENA AAA paper came out 2011-2012. These became the blueprint for Trust and Identity work.  The work plan has been followed in the past few years and most items have delivered.  For next stage, there is a need to analyze gaps and set direction.  Future direction is pending the next white paper in Nov. or Dec 2017.  AARC (Authentication and Authorisation for Research and Collaboration) is an offspring of FIM4R.  There are cyclical funding periods and two streams of  requirements. Key questions are:  1) what is needed for FIM4R and 2) what do federation and campuses want. 
      • It is  important for CACTI to look at how Trust and Identity can enable research across international borders and to identify gaps, which is the key to the FIM4R work. There have been challenges around adoption. Perhaps there is an opportunity for CACTI to play an endorser role. In addition, there is AARC engagement group for eTrust actions.  Major European groups and also Xceed are involved.  It be good to have a liaison from CACTI.  
      • Question: what is the onramp from FIM4R into TIER? Answer: via CACTI
      • IGTF - Grid Trust Federation is partly based on Globus Toolkit,   U Chicago  is discontinuing support for Globus. This is leading to discussions on IGTF.  Why does this matter?  (Reminder of when Protect Network changed. )  In research digital certs were used for distributed authN and AuthZ. DSI software was basis to handle certificate. XSEDE infrastructure is built on this. Campuses have moved to SAML. 
      • Christos: It's important to pay attention to IGTF.  Federation of e-science service providers. SIRTFI is driven by core people from IGTF.  

Reminder: in Person Meetings at 2017 Technology Exchange in San Francisco Oct 15-19, 2017 

 

Parking lot for now

  1.  Identerati / Identity Professionals activity (Object: Discuss 0 minutes)
    1. Next steps on Identerati /  Identity Professionals activity? 
    2. How should we leverage this resource?

Next CACTI Call: Tuesday, Sept 5, 2017 at at 11am ET/ 1500 UTC