- Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
- Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
- Tom Barton, U. Chicago
- Rob Carter, Duke
- Nathan Dors, U Washington
- Jill Gemmill, Clemson
- Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech
- Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
- Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison
- Les LaCroix, Carleton College
- Ann West
- Steve Zoppi
- Emily Eisbruch
- Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT
- Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT
- Kevin Morooney, Internet2
Action items here: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/GoPdBg
Report out from Vienna Meetings (Tom Barton)
- FIM4R Meeting, Feb. 5, 2018
- TIIME (Trust and Internet Identity Meeting Europe , Feb 5-8, 2018
FIM4R meeting was productive, updates on AAI (identity, authentication and authorisation)
Topics discussed included:
- FIM4R v2 white paper, looked at functional requirements
- ORCID was recognized as an upcoming pattern
- IDP suspension
- .int for federations
- R&E Federations are national; this can be a challenge for international orgs such as the European Space Agency.
- ECP requirement to deal with non web use cases
- At 2017 Internet2 Tech Ex there was support for ECP, at this FIM4R meeting there was less support, the ECP requirement may be removed from that requirements matrix. It proposes a particular solution rather than a functional requirement.
FIM4R white paper
- David Kelsey and Tom Barton are charged with leading the editorial group to finish the FIM4R v2 white paper by end of May.
- Focus on the audiences for the paper and what is the aim for each audience.
- One framing: one audience is funding agencies. Aim is to help provide incentives for PIs to use the infrastructure suggested in the white paper. Don’t roll your own. We need operational and sustainable and reliable common solutions and infrastructure. AARC is ending so will need replacement. Need a way to convene in North America.
- Other audiences are federations, REFEDs, research communities, more not discussed for lack of time.
- Question on how does CACTI leverage this work?
- A challenge in North America is to get leaders to understand why they should be interested in the FIM4R requirements.
- IdM work has developed along campus path (Internet2 middleware). NSF has funded for CILogon, Globus and more. These accept campus identifiers at login and there is non SAML based infrastructure underneath. Europe has a different model.
- A key is to help CIOs understand how better integration, beyond using campus identifiers for login, can help.
- Collaboration across campuses and organizations is an essential service that campuses should provide to their researchers.
- FIM4R paper had focus on what’s needed and less focus on what’s available and how to fill gaps. CACTI could define what our community needs to worry about.
- CACTI can help advise KevinM on priorities
- Question was raised of whether FIM4R is going to prioritize the items/needs/requests
- TomB: no prioritization planned by FIM4R. Prioritization is largely around ability to execute and FIM4R lacks that insight.
- SteveZ: prioritization of needs and pain points, and expression of magnitude, would be very helpful
- TomB: FIM4R will have a recommendations paper that will help
- Warren: LIGO has given up on attribute release and will handle Authn/Authz in other ways, such as standing up a proxy to get the job done. So right now attribute release is not a pain point for LIGO. But other research VOs may be in a different situation.
- TomB: AARC https://aarc-project.eu/ was valuable as a venue to coordinate researcher IAM needs in the EU.
- We need to fund those organizations and venues.
- AARC comes to an end soon and there is nothing to take its place.
- ChrisP: we could ask REFEDs to step up into this space
- Issue: AARC was well funded, REFEDs may lack the funding
Topics for next CACTI call:
- items being sought for REFEDS workplan 2018: https://wiki.refeds.org/display/WOR/2018+Work+Plan+Preparation
- TIER Campus Success Program report out
- Monthly report outs on Working Group Progress - AnnW sent an example to CACTI and received feedback from Tom Jordan.
- Erin M. and Bill K. (Internet2 Trust and Identity project managers) are moving forward with Tom Jordan's suggestions and we are planning for a first cut of wg report out on the next CACTI call.
Next CACTI Call: Tuesday, March 6, at 11am ET