Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (Chair)     
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO 
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago   
  • Rob Carter, Duke   
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington,    
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson   
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech    
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College   
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison    
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT   
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College     

Internet2

  • Ann West    
  • Steve Zoppi    
  • Emily Eisbruch   

Regrets
Ann Harding (SWITCH/GEANT), Kevin Morooney (Internet2)

Action items are here:   https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/GoPdBg  


 Discussion

Outreach around Support for Virtual Organization
Chris Phillips spoke with Jim Jokl, chair of the TIER Packaging working group, about supporting virtual organizations (VO) and other topics.  In January 2018 there will be the initial containerized builds of COmanage and Grouper. Jim commented that there is a need to raise awareness of the containerized version of the TIER tools. The Campus Success Program will be helpful in this regard.


Discussion around GÉANT workplan
Recommended reading: https://wiki.geant.org/display/gn43tip/GN4-3+Trust+and+Identity+planning+Home

There was a GEANT Trust and Identity meeting on Dec. 7, 2017 in Amsterdam

 https://eventr.geant.org/events/2786 , followed by a REFEDs meetig on Dec. 8, 2017.

AnnH, Christos, ChrisP and Nick Roy (of Internet2) attended.

 Topics at the GEANT Trust and Identity meeting included


  • Edugain and future of Edugain. 

  • Also OpenID Connect 

  • Attribute authorities. eIDAS and citizen identities and info from the institutions.  

  • Academia 
  • Eduroam  

  • Certificates and Certificate authorities

  • Proposal to create a small team now to analyze plan to evolve services for 2019 and beyond


The GEANT Work plan is frozen now and is under review.  
 Question for CACTI:  how do the items in the GEANT plan benefit/complement Internet2 activities?

It was noted that GÉANT's eduTeams and Internet2 Trust and Identity (TIER) work in COmanage both seek to help VOs. 


Internet2 Staff has also been brainstorming about ideas around GEANT Roadmap.  Ann West would appreciate any CACTI feedback on this by Dec 15, 2017:

 Common Solutions Group (CSG) in January

  • Karen Herrington will lead a Common Solutions Group (CSG) https://stonesoup.org/ workshop in January at USC in January on Next Generation of IDM. 
  • Karen may also incorporate some of the material from the GEANT roadmap brainstorming


Converting conversations to actions & our work on the Trust and Identity Roadmap and Model  

Near term item: how can we take conversation around virtual organizations (VO's) to actions?

Chris provided update earlier in this call from TIER packaging about COmanage and Grouper tools

Longer term:

The roadmap/strawman part 2 and what outputs and artifacts that we can offer


Comments:

  • Trust and Identity project requirements in USA come from CIOs.  In Europe, requirements come from the research projects.
  • Christos: GEANT deals with NRENs, but also must create a neutral ground. This is what AARC is about.
  • It was commented that previously at Internet2 there was more direct involvement with research.
    • There was a shift to CIO input more exclusively in past 5 years.  
    • However there is a strong pull now  (swing back) to support research more effectively.

CACTI members are asked to respond to the group on email regarding 1) Whether the CACTI Journey slide shows the right direction and 2) What are the best outputs for CACTI going forward. 

One thought is that the current slide may be too linear.

Keeping Pulse of Trust and Identity Working Groups

AnnW noted there is project management work internally to get monthly updates on what the working groups have done in past month and what they are planning to do and what issues they are wrestling with.  Mechanics still coming together. Staff will share this plan with CACTI within a month or so. 
TomB: should CACTI touch base with the Advisory Group chairs (TAC, AAC/CTAB, CACTI) on some periodic basis? One possibiity is that ChrisP could have a 30 minute call monthly with chairs of the Advisory Groups to be sure the channel is available and things are aligned.  

Next CACTI Call:  Tuesday, Jan. 9, at 11am ET