Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 

 

Members in Attendance

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE (Chair)
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington,
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech 
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison 
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College 

Internet2

  • Ann West
  • Steve Zoppi  
  • Emily Eisbruch

 Absent: Jill Gemmill (Clemson), Kevin Morooney (Internet2)

 

Action Items

  • [AI] (ChrisP) will reach out to MACE-Directories Working Group chairs regarding a charter
  • [AI] (ChrisP and EmilyE) work on how to invite emails from the community regarding issues they would like CACTI to consider


Discussion

Welcome Chris Phillips as CACTI Chair

Chris commented that he is looking forward to working with this group. It is an interesting greenfield opportunity
. There is the chance to set direction and grow the community without being limited by geographical borders
. CACTI may identify new areas that our community should be involved in but is not yet. Please feel free to contact Chris by email with your ideas about issues/areas you’d like to advance
.

Developing CACTI work plan

Suggested work areas: 


  • TIER Security and Audit Working group
    • 
Scope and direction for this working group needs to be reviewed

    • Security is a broad area and organizations can pour much resource into it and still wonder if it's enough.  
      • Clear focus can help address this.
    • Scope for a new Security working group could include TIER implementation and development issues, but it is best to look at a higher level

    • Look at what is needed in security to enable federation interoperability, including MFA Interoperability, SIRTFI, NIST 800-63-3 Federation Assurance Levels, etc.

    • Could work with the InCommon Assurance Advisory Committee (AAC)
 on some aspects
    • New Security working group charter is needed with deliverables that are achievable in a particular timeframe so there is progress seen and felt

    • Internet2 Trust and Identity is hiring a Security staff person for InCommon
; perhaps that staff person will develop an inventory of issues

    • Will discuss next steps at future CACTI calls

 

  • MACE-Directories Working Group
  • Identierati
    • MACE traditionally had a broad reach into the identity community

    • Info on MACE: https://www.internet2.edu/communities-groups/middleware/middleware-architecture-committee-education-mace/
    • The contacts in the identity community help to establish relationships where we can learn, share information and where we might have some leverage

    • Suggestion for CACTI to develop venue and process to hold discussions with IAM leaders. See the CACTI charter duties 4 and 5. 
    • It was noted that there could be some relationship with the work of ID Pro effort that Ian Glazer is involved with
 https://idpro.org/
    • It was suggested that the notion of Identity Professionals has advantages over the term  "Identerati"

    • The ambassadorship we have with CACTI -- consent, security, trust and identity and more, is the space. There is a need to identify who is interested in this space, and grow the community

    • It is important to foster individual relationships, there could be a possible need for some parameters around commercial interests.
    • Tom Barton will send to CACTI members the beginnings of a list of IAM professionals that the MACE group had produced (done)
    • Next steps to be determined at a future CACTI call.

 

Collecting/Inviting Community Ideas and Input to CACTI
What is the best method for community to submit requests for CACTI attention to an issue 
?

  • Should we create an email list called something like CACTI-inquiry@internet2.edu?
 If yes, who should receive these emails?
  • Ask people to email the CACTI chair directly?

  • Other?


[AI] Chris and Emily work how to invite emails from the community re issues CACTI should look at


Brief Report-outs

At the eduGAIN Steering Group meeting June 29, 2017, there was discussion of  eIDAS and relevancy to eduGAIN participants like InCommon. The group is looking at adoption of e-Gov IDs as specified in the eIDAS spec. -- citizen identity with eduGAIN as a bridge between R&E and these identities in production for Sept 2018.  This would become the first government identity set that could/would interact with R&E (via eduGAIN).  Impact: Will these identities be required for EU research access (and in turn what does that mean to non EU identity providers?).  Determining the strategy to follow; discussions will soon begin again


Leading use cases motivating this solution include:

  • Electronic ID s from governments  .. can be used throughout a person’s whole life 

  • University has important info on an individual that can be leveraged

  • Users who don’t have access to federated system (guest identities)

  • need for stronger authentication


Please contact Christos with your ideas, or use edugain discuss list .

AACRAO Tech Conference

  • Ann West presentated on attribute release at AACRAO Tech with the Registrar from Indiana U. The presentation went well. There is a group of registrars interested in developing guidelines for registrars and attribute release and R&S.
 

▪ CANARIE is working on rolling out R&S


Report outs for next CACTI call -  if time

Trust and Identity and Internet2 overall - Kevin  

TIER - Steve
Z
InCommon and Working Groups - AnnW

    New InCommon Working Groups spinning up


Processes to Maintain Baseline Expectations by InCommon and its members - Consultation open until Aug. 18, 2017
 https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/uZ6TBg

MACE - TomB


PEARC17 - TomB https://www.pearc.org/


 2017 Technology Exchange in San Francisco Oct 15-18, 2017

  • Plan is for CACTI to have a Face to Face 
meeting at 2017 TechEx
  • Exact date and time for the F2F during the week of Oct 15-18 - TBD


It was noted that 2017 Internet2 Technology Exchange is unfortunately at the same time as IIW Conference this Oct 2017, except for last 1/2 day of Advance CAMP.   http://www.internetidentityworkshop.com/
 

Next CACTI Call: Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at at 11am ET/ 1500 UTC