Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

 


Attending

Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE  (chair)
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago 
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington 
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson 
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT 
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College 
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison  
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College   

Internet2

  • Kevin Morooney 
  • Ann West 
  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Emily Eisbruch 


Regrets: Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT

New Action Items:

  • AI (ChrisP) reach out to KeithH, DavidB, TomJ, and others to get the MACE-Dir Sunset / transition document moving

Discussion

MACE- Directories WG Sunset/Transition  


  • Based on recent discussions, community and MACE-DIR members agree that sunsetting MACE-Dir is the correct course.  
  • This will involve moving the  content/functions of MACE-DIR  to other places (e.g. REFEDs, TIER API and Data structures WG).
  • Rationale: MACE DIR WG has seen a decline in participation in favor of more energy in some other groups.  
  • The eduPerson schema work has become international so it makes sense to move the eduPerson work to REFEDs to have it in a wider context.
  • TomJ: the discussion around MACE-Dir transition at the Global Summit MACE-Dir BOF was positive.  
    • One part of the  discussion focused on the need to curate working group assets.


  Transition to REFEDs and other groups


  • The MACE-Dir transition/sunset is not just a relocating of a body of work. 
  •  It can be an opportunity for new people to become engaged. 
  • CACTI should work to design the transition in a thoughtful way to maximize community engagement moving forward.
  • AnnH: this move of the international work to REFEDs makes sense.  
    • We need to support REFEDs so they have the people to do the work.
  • Les noted that the TIER Data Structures and APIs Working Group should likely be rechartered. https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/DSAWG/TIER+Data+Structures+and+APIs+Working+Group+Charter
  • SteveZ: CACTI is charged with recommending how the Data Structures and APIs WG should be chartered moving forward.
  • TomB: We should create the charter/transition plan in a way that will help REFEDs know how to move forward
  • AnnH: Human care to be sure the standards are valid and alive is key
  • SteveZ: helpful to delegate a function to a person not to a WG
  • ChrisP: we may want to suggest that REFEDs be  sure that a human is responsible for a standard, 

   Registries


Next Steps

  • The plan is that KeithH and DavidB (MACE-Dir Co-Chairs) will help recommend which parts of MACE-Dir should be transitioned to which new home.
  • AI (ChrisP) reach out to KeithH, DavidB, TomJ, and others to get the transition document moving

CACTI Collaboration with  InCommon TAC

  • InCommon TAC is looking at roadmaps on campuses and related issues. 
  • Mark Scheible, InCommon TAC Chair, reached out to ChrisP about TAC collaboration with a few  CACTI members on a task force to identify issues that are affecting campus IdP operators - and where those issues stem from with respect to T&I and Policy and Governance stakeholders on campus.


  • Jill: at Global Summit in San Diego, CIOs stated request for commercial level of support for TIER.  
  • We should articulate where we are going and where we want the campuses to get to.
  • KevinM: two big themes from CIOs at Global Summit:
    • 1) Support for TIER needed
    • 2) TIER core components have been strengthened by TIER program and work together better than previously. Need to develop revenue streams to keep the forward motion
  • There is a threat to doing IAM right on campuses due to lack of sufficient attention to IDPs and SPs etc on campus. There is a need to grow the international IAM community.
  • SteveZ noted that TIER program was to develop ongoing sustainability for key IAM components. 
  • This is happening as we plan now for end of initial TIER funding cycle
  • It was noted that there is a question of human and financial capacity.
  • At TIER Investors meeting at Global Summit, there was not a focus on new innovation.
  • There was a focus on sustaining what has been developed already.
  • Jill: Trust and Identity business model should include some percent for innovation
  • At start of Internet2 Trust and Identity work,  the driver was community architects sharing their work and efforts.  
  • Now things structured more top down.
  • Next Steps:
    • On June 7, ChrisP will join the InCommon TAC call. 
    • Chris will take to that discussion the questions raised here about being forward looking. 
    • There are concerns around attention economy and how this impacts IAM components


Work and meeting planning 

  • This is the last CACtI meeting before TNC18/REFEDS  
  • 10 meetings left until October TechEx in Orlando


    1. June 12 (middle of TNC,1 year anniversary of CACTI, meeting same time as GeGC@TNC)

    2. Others: June 26, July 10, July 24, Aug 7, Aug 21, Sept 4 (1st day back after Labour day),Sept 18, Oct 2, Oct 16 Start of TechEx18)

    3. Should CACTI have a hiatus during Aug. 2018? Please let ChrisP know if you think yes.

Next Call: Tuesday June 12, 2018 (note this call was cancelled)