- Chris Phillips, CANARIE (chair)
- Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
- Tom Barton, U Chicago
- Rob Carter, Duke
- Nathan Dors, U Washington
- Jill Gemmill, Clemson
- Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT
- Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech
- Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College
- Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison
- Les LaCroix, Carleton College
- Kevin Morooney
- Ann West
- Steve Zoppi
- Emily Eisbruch
Regrets: Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT
New Action Items:
- AI (ChrisP) reach out to KeithH, DavidB, TomJ, and others to get the MACE-Dir Sunset / transition document moving
MACE- Directories WG Sunset/Transition
- Based on recent discussions, community and MACE-DIR members agree that sunsetting MACE-Dir is the correct course.
- This will involve moving the content/functions of MACE-DIR to other places (e.g. REFEDs, TIER API and Data structures WG).
- Rationale: MACE DIR WG has seen a decline in participation in favor of more energy in some other groups.
- The eduPerson schema work has become international so it makes sense to move the eduPerson work to REFEDs to have it in a wider context.
- TomJ: the discussion around MACE-Dir transition at the Global Summit MACE-Dir BOF was positive.
- One part of the discussion focused on the need to curate working group assets.
Transition to REFEDs and other groups
- The MACE-Dir transition/sunset is not just a relocating of a body of work.
- It can be an opportunity for new people to become engaged.
- CACTI should work to design the transition in a thoughtful way to maximize community engagement moving forward.
- AnnH: this move of the international work to REFEDs makes sense.
- We need to support REFEDs so they have the people to do the work.
- Les noted that the TIER Data Structures and APIs Working Group should likely be rechartered. https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/display/DSAWG/TIER+Data+Structures+and+APIs+Working+Group+Charter
- SteveZ: CACTI is charged with recommending how the Data Structures and APIs WG should be chartered moving forward.
- TomB: We should create the charter/transition plan in a way that will help REFEDs know how to move forward
- AnnH: Human care to be sure the standards are valid and alive is key
- SteveZ: helpful to delegate a function to a person not to a WG
- ChrisP: we may want to suggest that REFEDs be sure that a human is responsible for a standard,
- In addition to the EduPerson schema, registries (URN and OID) have been one part of the MACE-Dir portolio
- 6 new URNs in 2017, one so far in 2018
- OIDs https://www.internet2.edu/products-services/trust-identity/mace-registries/internet2-object-identifier-oid-registrations/
- The plan is that KeithH and DavidB (MACE-Dir Co-Chairs) will help recommend which parts of MACE-Dir should be transitioned to which new home.
- AI (ChrisP) reach out to KeithH, DavidB, TomJ, and others to get the transition document moving
CACTI Collaboration with InCommon TAC
- InCommon TAC is looking at roadmaps on campuses and related issues.
- Mark Scheible, InCommon TAC Chair, reached out to ChrisP about TAC collaboration with a few CACTI members on a task force to identify issues that are affecting campus IdP operators - and where those issues stem from with respect to T&I and Policy and Governance stakeholders on campus.
- Jill: at Global Summit in San Diego, CIOs stated request for commercial level of support for TIER.
- We should articulate where we are going and where we want the campuses to get to.
- KevinM: two big themes from CIOs at Global Summit:
- 1) Support for TIER needed
- 2) TIER core components have been strengthened by TIER program and work together better than previously. Need to develop revenue streams to keep the forward motion
- There is a threat to doing IAM right on campuses due to lack of sufficient attention to IDPs and SPs etc on campus. There is a need to grow the international IAM community.
- SteveZ noted that TIER program was to develop ongoing sustainability for key IAM components.
- This is happening as we plan now for end of initial TIER funding cycle
- It was noted that there is a question of human and financial capacity.
- At TIER Investors meeting at Global Summit, there was not a focus on new innovation.
- There was a focus on sustaining what has been developed already.
- Jill: Trust and Identity business model should include some percent for innovation
- At start of Internet2 Trust and Identity work, the driver was community architects sharing their work and efforts.
- Now things structured more top down.
- Next Steps:
- On June 7, ChrisP will join the InCommon TAC call.
- Chris will take to that discussion the questions raised here about being forward looking.
- There are concerns around attention economy and how this impacts IAM components
Work and meeting planning
- This is the last CACtI meeting before TNC18/REFEDS
- 10 meetings left until October TechEx in Orlando
June 12 (middle of TNC,1 year anniversary of CACTI, meeting same time as GeGC@TNC)
Others: June 26, July 10, July 24, Aug 7, Aug 21, Sept 4 (1st day back after Labour day),Sept 18, Oct 2, Oct 16 Start of TechEx18)
Should CACTI have a hiatus during Aug. 2018? Please let ChrisP know if you think yes.
Next Call: Tuesday June 12, 2018 (note this call was cancelled)