Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attending

  Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE    (chair)
  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO
  • Rob Carter, Duke 
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington 
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson  
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech    
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College 
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT  
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College    

Internet2 

  • Kevin Morooney    
  • Ann West  
  • Steve Zoppi   
  • Emily Eisbruch  

Regrets

  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago

DISCUSSION

FIM4R Blog

FIM4R Call to Action 

  • Kevin Morooney has asked CACTI to produce an assessment (gap analysis and recommendations) of FIM4R by 2018 TechEx in Orlando:
  • Kevin noted that FIM4R v2 is a thoughtful and expansive document with a large wish list. CACTI is well positioned to shape how Internet2 and perhaps also others can  advance the priorities.  
  • There may be 3 phases:  
    • In each phase would be good to see a mix of 
      • quick wins
      • things that take a medium time 
      • longer term items

Comments:

  • Increased researcher representation on governance bodies is an item CACTI could address: Is research community adequately represented on CACTI?
  • The gap analysis/recommendations that CACTI prepares for TechEx will be a draft for the community to review. 
  • Work for a very positive tone  
  • Scoping is important 
  • need to look at what is already in motion
  • Might want to have a section for things that are outside of Internet2 
  • CACTI may want to ask the WG chairs “is this inside or outside your own WG scope? “  
  • Need to be clear on who can deliver/facilitate what’s in the paper.  
  • Specify the “who” … who has what role. 
  • Could use audience segmentation to better define shrink the problem space.  
    • There are 4 levels of InCommon members   https://www.incommon.org/fees.html
    • It may make sense to have different strategies for different levels and communities
    •  Would be helpful to eventually do some segmentation of the responses, but first need to start with 
  • Encourage other federations, in addition to InCommon, to engage in responding to the FIM4R issues

Process for developing gap analysis/ recommendations 

  • Initial stage is to get the working group input for the gap analysis/recommendations  around FIM4R.
  • Chris suggests 2nd week of Sept as a deadline to WG chairs.  
  • Timing is tight.
  • CACTI will need to be nimble to ingest the info received and produce a draft prior to TechEx.  
  • Karen and Jill will work as co-leads for the CACTI gap analysis/recommendations around FIM4R
    • Will be helpful to have Karen or Jill or other CACTI member join each WG call where FIM4R feedback is discussed. 
    • Suggestion to create a table showing FIM4R review  questions and answers from each Trust and Identity WG. 

  input to the content of the FIM4R gap analysis/recommendations

  • Les: difficult to rely on home institutions to solve more than 80% of the problems over coming years.  Some researchers don’t have home institutions.  The trend is to using personal (not institutional) identities for researchers.  There  should be more effort around what the proxies can do.   What can Internet2 do to make a packaged proxy, perhaps guidelines on Shib and TIER to meet the  needs called out in FIM4R.  Funded activity to help with account linking. Institutions are doing that piecemeal now.  
  • Jill: Need to address guest affiliate accounts. Suggestion for Internet2 to support COmanage as a US Proxy?
  • Christos: Many of the FIM4R issues are not campus problems. Campuses can provide some of the solutions, but the minority.  FIM4R v1 was  addressed to campuses. FIM4Rv2 calls out need for other entities to fill the gaps.
  • The campuses who received NSF grants from the solicitation for campus Cyberinfrastructure in 2017 may be relevant to the FIM4R issues.  https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2018/nsf18508/nsf18508.htm
  • https://www.nsf.gov/funding/pgm_summ.jsp?pims_id=504748
  • Warren: Suggestion for a research TIER package

Community  Reports

  MACE Dir Transition Status: Progressing

  • Good attendance on the July 23, 2018  MACE Dir call. 


  OIDC - Vote on Federation  

  • Internet2 has enrolled as have other international partners. Hope to encourage more enrollment and more votes.  Davide, Niels, and others have stepped up.  
  • Nathan:  challenge to increase education and understanding of the spec.
  • If vote does not pass, the spec could be improved and go for another future vote


Six CACTI meetings left before 2018 TechEx in Orlando

  • Aug 7, Aug 21, Sept 4 (1st day back after Labour day), Sept 18, Oct 2, Oct 16 Start of TechEx18)
  • CACTI meeting at TechEx will to be open to anyone to attend.  (Thursday, Oct 18 at lunch )  


Next CACTI Call: Tuesday, Aug 7, 2018