Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

CACTI call of November 13, 2018

Attending

 Members

  • Chris Phillips, CANARIE   (chair)  
  • Nathan Dors, U Washington   
  • Jill Gemmill, Clemson   
  • Karen Herrington, Virginia Tech   
  • Todd Higgins, Franklin & Marshall College   
  • Tom Jordan, U Wisc - Madison   
  • Les LaCroix, Carleton College     

Internet2 

  • Steve Zoppi    
  • Emily Eisbruch    

Regrets

  • Warren Anderson, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee /LIGO  
  • Tom Barton, U Chicago   
  • Christos Kanellopoulos, GEANT    
  • Ann Harding, SWITCH/GEANT  
  • Rob Carter, Duke   
  • Kevin Morooney, Internet2
  • Ann West, Internet2


Action Items

AI (SteveZ and BillK) help provide CACTI links to Component Architect planning documents 

CACTI membership   

  • The group discussed filling the vacancy on CACTI given the resignation of Ann Harding at end of 2018 due to job change.
    • Current  CACTI membership: https://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/qZGTBg
      • After outreach to GEANT, a nomination has been received to replace Ann Harding.  
      • From the CACTI charter  http://doi.org/10.26869/TI.4.1 
        • CACTI should be comprised of between 9 and 15 individuals 
        • CACTI votes for precisely two purposes: to determine recommended members and the chair, as described above. These votes carry by plurality. 
      • Suggested to use online voting  
      • ChrisP has set up a voting mechanism using the EVENTO tool 
      • Agreed that is a good approach
      • ChrisP will email CACTI the link to the vote (done)
      • Vote will be open  for one week, Chris will remind those who have not voted after one week 

FIM4R consultation closed as of Nov. 11, 2018

IDP as a Service - Definition Needed

      • There has been a lot of dialog about IDP as  a service, collaboration as a service 
      • SteveZ: conversation comes up often and is hard to answer What is IAM as a service supposed to look like?  
      • What is IDP as a service? It must be defined
      • SteveZ is open to what CACTI has to offer
      • A multi-tenant hosted service w identity info could cost $100 million
        • A lot of people are asking for it, but when the reality of what it is becomes clearer they are not willing to pay for it
      • Deploy an IDP into a cloud and connect plumbing is less effort.
      • TomJ: TIER is looking at curated container objects / artifacts  that can be injected into my own DevOps environment, can be deployed in various environments.
      • It is challenging to have black box tightly coupled w campus infrastructure
      • There is requirement / desire for an investigator to have an identity that’s useful for collaboration. The bridge to an implementation solution for that requirement is long
      • Suggestion to tie this requirement back to stories in the FIM4R paper of what needs to be solved. 
      • SteveZ: a definition and then small iterative steps are needed to get to a service. Looking for an acceptable form of what we might deliver
      • Todd: there is also a need for consulting services on best way to implement  around IDP as a Service. 
        • SteveZ:  Internet2 is working with trusted partners to be able to offer consulting. It's recognized that there is a time in the release cycle where the consulting/partner services are over taxed (very busy)  
      • Todd: IDP of last resort is a good focus
  • SteveZ: good discussion, CACTI can help provide the pragmatic view of IDP as a service


eduPerson Transition to REFEDs 


MACE URN OID Transitionhttps://spaces.at.internet2.edu/x/Sgi6Bw

      • Les will send his thoughts on URN OID work to the list (done)
      • Overview of his impressions: OID is used by Internet2 internally, has a trivial process
      • URN registry is a low use, low value, dis-recommended service, not clear that it’s needed. 

Reports from the Field 

      1. EDUCAUSE
      2. OIDC - Nov 19, 2018 kickoff meeting: https://openid.net/wg/rande/
        • This is the sausage factory for multilateral trust
        • Good conversations on SLACK NREN channel
        • http://gridcf.org/  and science token are audiences that should be engaged in the openID connect space. Chris has mentioned this to Davide
      3. ChrisP reached out to Mark Scheible of InCommon TAC around planning 2019 working groups.
        • ChrisP would like to get more info into CACTI on the plans for new working groups
        • Where do we orchestrate issues that are not under FIM4R space?
        • It was agreed that ChrisP should work to get 2019 working group plans into the CACTI sphere 
        • GEANT 2019 planning is ongoing also. Would be helpful to coordinate. 
        • SteveZ: TIER planning is continuous. We reassess trajectory every few months.  Now we are heading towards end of original TIER funding.  Hope to come in for clean landing in middle of 2019.  Landing is at twice the altitude of before the TIER program began. Nothing is stopping but velocity is changing.
        • AI (SteveZ and BillK) will help provide CACTI links to Component Architect planning documents 

 

Parking lot: Suggestions from Oct 30 , 2018  CACTI Call: 

  • ask RolandH to give CACTI a talk on direction of OIDC and SAML as an informational session.
  • Perhaps also Davide Vaghetti (GARR)
  • Suggestion to put Nathan on CACTI Agenda for next CACTI call to give info on OIDC


Next CACTI meeting Nov. 27, 2018